06 March 2011

Baby J's Owl Quilt



This is the first quilt I made this year. It was a gift to my niece for her Baptism. I wanted to design something pink and girlie, but add some bold colors too. This owl fabric, which was found by my 18-month-old son (long story, see below), allowed me to do just that. You will probably notice that the fabrics match what I used in my studio last week. Though they are the same, the quilts that will be available for purchase are slightly different in design than this quilt. I believe, just like snowflakes, no two quilts should exactly be alike.




I can't take all the credit for picking the fabrics in this quilt. My son helped me with this task. I went to the fabric store with another quilt fabric picked, a design, and a list of fabrics I needed for that design. However, once my son found this fabric, everything changed. 
He was home from school the day I went to the store because of a Teacher in Service day. I thought he would like being at the store and looking at all of the different fabrics with animals, shapes, and colors, but I couldn't have been more wrong. He began signing "finished" (something he learned at school) the minute we walked in the door. I ignored him and tried to engage him in a game of "I Spy: Fabric Store Edition". He was determined to leave and kept saying "Mama" and signing "finished". I quickly began searching through the aisles for the fabrics I needed. It wasn't until we were several aisles in and I had turned my back on him to look at a particular fabric when his attention was drawn to the fabrics. "Who, Who. Mama. Who, Who". I turned to find him pointing at this pink owl fabric. It was PERFECT for my niece. I scrapped my other design, found fabrics to coordinate, and the above photos show the results of the redesign I had to.

1 comment:

  1. This quilt is AWESOME! I have seen it in person as it was created for my daughter by her auntie! I can say the that the detail work is amazing and the quality of the quilt is something you won't find just anywhere. One can definitely tell that this quilt was created with enthusiasm and love!

    ReplyDelete